What We Do
What is a Virtual CTO?
You’re an entrepreneur. You have an idea, a start-up, or an established business. You want to create a killer product or service but you’re stuck with what to do next and how best to do it.
WE GET IT
Innovation is hard. Doing it by yourself is harder. That’s why we’re here.
We’ve helped 100+ start-ups from a variety of industries (including safety, environment, transport, proptech, cleantech, energy, agriculture, fitness and smart cities) build better business and we can help you do the same.
We’re systemic technologists: specialists in the creation, design and build of innovative technology-led businesses, products & services.
✅ You want to innovate by reducing uncertainty, achieving focus and make progress through learning
✅ You want to execute effectively and reduce cost by experimentation and better use of technology
✅ You want technology to serve your business by aligning technical requirements with business strategy
✅ You want to be productive, efficient and deliver value
TECHNICAL LEADERSHIP AND IMPLEMENTATION
You know business. Specifically, you know your business. Do you also know technology? Are you well-versed on all of the latest trends? Can you manage your business and manage the technology that drives your business?
Can you afford to have a CTO? The better question is can you afford not to have a CTO? A Chief Technology Officer can be a very expensive hire. It can be out of reach of many companies. Enter Your Virtual CTO (also known as a Fractional CTO, CTO on Demand, CTO as a Service).
A Virtual CTO is technical leadership on-demand. It enables companies to harness the skills and experience of a full-time CTO but at a more manageable cost. With an on-demand CTO you are paying only for the technical leadership effort you need.
One of the keys to success is to understand where you are and where you need to be, which are often two very different things. Our Virtual CTO services help start-ups get where they need to go in the most efficient and effective way.
You’re busy building your business, so you need an effective approach for reducing uncertainty and achieving clarity. There are some questions you don’t know how to answer and some you don’t want to. What you need is a structured process to help you navigate your way out of the start-up fog.
Our experience gained from working with over 100 early-stage technology startups has defined an effective approach for reducing uncertainty and achieving clarity. As BUSINESS DESIGNERS we create such things as:
- Customer Personas/empathy maps
- Value Propositions
- Assumptions & Hypotheses
- Experiments & prototypes
- Business Canvasses
- Unit Economics
- Service Design
All of these tools help reduce uncertainly and achieve clarity. We ask the questions that founders can’t or don’t want to ask of themselves but which must be asked to avoid costly mistakes or delays.
GET IN TOUCH
If you’d like to speak to us about a problem you’re having just get in touch to see how we can help.
We work collaboratively with early stage teams to create solutions to social and environmental problems so that we can all look forward to a fairer and more sustainable future.
We believe in loving the problem, not the solution. If you take the right approach you will find that the customer has all the answers you need.
We run workshops, offer advice, and design experiments to test your ideas, challenge your assumptions and validate your business. We then build solutions based on what we discover. We specialise in using participatory and open approaches.
We’re looking to work with clients that are keen to invest £825 per day to work with us to explore how their business model can generate demand, deliver value and accelerate growth. That exploration will be used to determine whether and what engineering is required to achieve these targets.
Our skill is in working with you to find the best way forward for your specific circumstances, rather than taking a one size fits all approach or expecting you to learn how to see and solve any problems yourselves.
You might come to us for help with your engineering but we’d like to do that by helping you understand what’s of most value to your customer, which practices could improve your current processes, what is costing your engineering team the most time and therefore what you should do to build a product your customers care about.
We can help you with:
- Ideation and Problem Definition
Identify business opportunities
- Business Model Design
Make sure that what you are doing is sustainable using business model design tools
- Problem <-> Solution Fit
Understand the needs, wants and cares of your users, and especially your customers
- Customer <-> Solution Fit
Find the perfect niche that wants what you provide and will help you learn how to make it better
- Market <-> Product Fit
Take the learning from your niche and discover new opportunities for expansion
- Scaling and Growth
Fine-tune your customer engine for better acquisition and retention of revenue. Create the infrastructure to cope with success
- Technical Delivery
- Review your technical architecture
- Health check your team’s practices
- Advise on opportunities to simplify or accelerate using new technologies
- Help you build your products
Please get in touch if you’d like to find out more. We’d love to talk to you.
You know business. Specifically, you know your business. Do you also know technology? Are you well-versed on all of the latest trends? Can you manage your business and manage the technology that drives your business? That’s where Your CTO comes in.
A Chief Technology Officer, or CTO, bridges the gap between you and the development team. (S)he uses her/his technical and business knowledge to help founders and startups minimize IT-related risks, set up a development strategy and develop practical solutions to grow their business.
A CTO is your technology leadership. They:
- Give the board and CEO confidence in the web/technology strategic direction of the company.
- Simplify the complexity of technology into a vision and goals that everyone can get behind.
- Offer individual focused technical leadership – simplify and solve.
- Explore what role web & technology play in the design and vision of your organization.
- Help leadership understand what paths are open and the risks/rewards that lie on each path.
Can you afford to have a CTO? The better question is can you afford not to have a CTO? A Chief Technology Officer can be a very expensive hire. It can be out of reach of many companies. Enter Your Virtual CTO (also known as a fractional CTO, CTO on demand, CTO as a service).
A virtual CTO is technical leadership on-demand. It enables companies to harness the skills and experience of a full-time CTO but at a more manageable cost. With an on-demand CTO you are paying only for the technical leadership effort you need.
- Do you have a great idea for an app, but no idea how to make it?
- Are you unsure how to develop your business model in a way that gets you to market quickly?
- Have you developed your first app on a low budget, and now realize the design is insufficient for the next level of your product?
- Do you need personnel with years of technical leadership to help you meet with investors, assess your vendors, develop technical roadmaps, and maybe to even code up your first dream app?
- More mature businesses:
- Is your company growing fast? Are you overwhelmed by responsibilities? If you are also missing a technical co-founder, do you need support in technological matters to consult?
- Do you want someone to be flexible and not have to be tied to long-term contracts? Do you need to pay only for what you use?
We offer you a virtual CTO that can scale with your business. Any size business can now afford the technology leadership and business design a CTO will bring.
Our virtual CTO service works on an hourly, daily or fixed monthly basis. We like to talk to you and find out your needs and then we will recommend whichever direction makes the most sense.
We provide guidance along the whole development process starting from strategy all the way to delivery and maintenance. We work with you based on your specific milestones and where you are in your project timeline.
Find a CTO for your company and get these benefits:
- An objective viewpoint - Because we work with many businesses of different sizes from many different industries we know how to choose the solutions which work, and avoid ones that do not.
- Immediate contribution - Our experienced specialists can start working immediately and keep your business on the right technology path.
- Review your landscape - We conduct regular audits of technology infrastructure to choose the right technology for your needs. Our strategic and tactical decision making helps to develop your business.
- User-centred decisions - When business and customer objectives are well defined and aligned, the productivity and returns on investment grow.
- Technical and business mentorship - As leaders, our CTOs have experience in mentorship to help the team raise proficiency.
Sounds interesting? Then get in touch and let’s see what we can do together!